Re: Asynchronous decisions Re: Webex details for Process Task Force

From: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:23:14 -0400
To: "public-w3process@w3.org" <public-w3process@w3.org>
I've tried tracking issues in a spec using pull requests for WebRTC,
it was a disaster (pointers available upon request). Also notably, PRs
aren't actually trackable and fail W3C requirements for tracking input
(since they're mutable/destroyable, and people tend to rebase them).
In theory Issues might not have that problem (although it's possible
they're deletable/otherwise malleable).

I've tried using github Issues for a few open source projects, and I
haven't been impressed. -- Most critically from my perspective as
someone who gives prolific feedback on documents, the Issue/PR
approaches do not scale well at all. If you're only writing one issue
about one thing, whatever you do will be fine. If you're sending
50-100 comments on a document, then a single commit/PR results in
painful merge conflicts, and creating more than 5 PRs is
tiresome/painful beyond my tolerance (which is generally fairly high).
Creating more than 5 issues is also really painful, I'm definitely not
doing that.

I'm also currently unimpressed with the availability of git for my
current laptop (in English, "the git binary I got crashes at launch").