Re: Charter updates

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 18:46:24 +0200, timeless <timeless@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm starting to join things as an IE.
>
> My first foray [1] lead me to a Member noting uncertainty about being
> able to make minor changes to a charter:
>
>> As a document voted on and ratified by the entire W3C membership,
>> I'm not actually sure we can correct even typographic errors in a
>> charter without a considerable process overhead.

The Director recentlty issued a multi-year extension without so much as a
review, so presumably can approve minor changes to a charter. While I
think the extensions granted are more than members might be happy with,
and hope it doesn't happen that way again, I would have thought minor
editorial updates to charters could readily be delegated...

...although if someone thinks that minor editorial updates can include
changes to the scope of work deliverable, expect a lot of unhappy members.

> My second foray [2] lead me to a Charter that was extended w/o its
> Milestones being updated.

Yeah, that can happen as a consequence of reluctance on the part of chairs
to try messing with the charter - see above. On the other hand groups
should maintain some live information about their progress.

IMHO that should not be the charter - being able to look at what the group
said it would do, and compare it with what it is doing is a pretty basic
tool for managing expectations and balancing resource commitments.