Re: Normative references and stable documents

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM, David (Standards) Singer <singer@apple.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > What kind of document would reasonably say that? If it's a spec, and
> > > R changes, then you should change your reference.
>
> That's an unrealistic expectation of the entire content of the world
> pivoting around the current spec, rather than the state of the spec when
> the content was developed.

If it's not realistic to expect all the people referencing the spec to
update, then *don't change the spec*.

If it's not realistic to expect one to update one's spec when specs one
references change, then one should not be writing specs. Writing specs is
like writing software. The point at which you stop maintaining it is the
point at which it dies.

> reaching stability in a spec, or even large portions of a spec, creates
> important inflection points in implementation.

It's certainly true that a spec can have layers where one set of features
are "v1" and another are "v2" -- the HTML spec does this a lot, for
instance, I even use that terminology internally to track when to add new
features -- but that has nothing to do with publishing snapshots, and it
isn't what the W3C is doing anyway. "HTML5" mixes long-stable stuff with
highly immature unimplemented stuff (and has lots of stuff that's been
fixed for months on the WHATWG side, making it even less "stable" than the
WHATWG living standard equivalent), for example.

> This isn't just a reflection of spec commits; it's spec commits and
> stability of what's in the document, and without strong stability
> indicators, it's pointless.

Yeah. The WHATWG HTML spec had explicit markers per-section for a while
indicating how stable each part was. Now that pretty much everything in
the spec is stable, I've taken those out in favour of localised warnings
where things are known to be in flux. But again, this has nothing to do
with snapshots for patent purposes or the way the W3C is doing them.

One could imagine having multiple "views" of the spec, with newer features
omitted from some. In practice this isn't viable because when you add new
features you often have to make pretty invasive changes to the core model,
and so maintaining multiple branches becomes hellish. (I experienced this
when I was editing both the WHATWG and W3C versions of the specs.)

> Sooner or later, we'll reach a stable "v1" inflection point around Web
> Audio, and I'd expect implementers to use that as a bar - but additional
> features will be added, and changes will be made, and of course I'd want
> implementers (and developers, for that matter) in the future looking at
> that most of the time.

Why "most"? When would you ever want them implementing or using the old,
now known-to-be-wrong, stuff?

I'm all in favour of having archival versions for spec archeology. That's
why all 8800+ versions of the contemporary HTML standard are available in
both Subversion and on github, and why we have precached "blame" files,
and so on. In practice, annual or even quarterly snapshots are
insufficient for useful archeological analysis, anyway. You really need
per-checkin commit messages, etc.

(BTW, I'm not on w3process. If anyone has feedback they'd like me to
respond to, please cc me, as David and Chris have been doing.)