Re: Case for/data about elections

On 2014-05-22 10:42, Brian Kardell wrote:

> [...]
>

>         Spinning off a new thread in order to keep the other about
>         actually voting on votes.
>

>     Thank you.
>

>         To reiterate in order to pose my questions:  I agree there are
>         potential
>         biases in the first system, it has serious flaws.  I entirely
>         support the
>         idea that it is worth discussing and probably fixing.
>

>         BUT - I am very dubious that THESE are the biases that have
>         hurt things
>         thus far and relatively confident that other biases
>         (apathy/lack of
>         participation or knowledge, who actually does the voting, etc)
>         actually
>         have had a big impact
>

>     That certainly was the case in the past. This is changing (in no
>     small part
>     through your personal effort, which I applaud). And as it changes…
>

> Thanks.  Lots of people have questioned me on why I do, even
> speculated some dark purpose.  I took the time to write a post about
> why which I will reference in the future when this comes up :)
>  (briankardell.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/desparately-seeking-jimi/
> <http://briankardell.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/desparately-seeking-jimi/>).
>

>         AND changing the voting system does not address these.
>

>     No, but those are being addressed. E.g. by your efforts. And when
>     that happens, the system we have effectively disenfranchises a lot
>     of the membership.
>

> I don't see how this is plausible actually, perhaps it's in how you
> are stating it that is causing me to misunderstand your meaning.
> "disenfranchises" implies that we are denying a right (definitely not)
> or systematically marginalizing a voice.  It's my case that
> *currently* a voice (arguably the most important one) is actually
> disenfranchised and when I hear that working hard (and making
> progress) to give them a meaningful place/voice in the process
> disenfranchises someone else who currently actually has this power -
> it makes me shiver with thoughts/parallels in my own country's history.
>

>         My assertions are easily validated with data.
>

>     Given sufficient data of the right type. Which we don't have.
>
>     The only data we have available are
>
>     the candidates
>      The recent trend is for genuinely contested elections.
>      AB candidates are more than twice the number of seats.
>     the winners of elections
>     the eligible voters
>

> We have anecdotal statements on lists that participation is very low,
> I believe it has been stated many times that it is something like 10%
> or less.  I don't see why the W3C would be adverse to releasing a
> generalized statistic like this if not - perhaps Jeff or someone can
> just fill in rough ideas over the last 5 elections ala.
>
> Election 1:  N1% of members cast votes in the election 1: X% cast all
> available votes, Y% cast a single vote, Z% cast more than one, but
> less than the total number of available seats.

Voters could select fewer than the maximum allowed number of candidates
without it being evidence of any gaming.   It could be they think 2
people in particular should be on the AB, and that any of the other
candidates are capable and would be fine for the remaining seats.  It
wouldn't be surprising if people voted for 2 candidates even if they
could have selected more.  That doesn't mean it is some sort of
strategic voting.

I think it also is not surprising if some members don't vote at all if
they think all the candidates are acceptable (given the information
candidates provide).  They could recognize the importance of the AB,
while thinking that from what they know about the candidates, any of the
candidates would be fine.

In a body like this, if you have a strong particular view, you probably
want people with views opposing yours in the group.  That gives the
group the chance to work out a consensus position that could get
approved in the AC.  The alternative of a minority position somehow
gaining control of the AB seems useless.  The AC would reject everything
they proposed if it didn't reflect what the AC wants.

The AB can and should report out minority proposals for AC
consideration.  AB members can already do that.  As can AC members not
in the AB.    A majority of the AB that didn't reflect the wishes of the
AC would likely just be ignored.  So I'm not seeing how gaming elections
is likely to be useful even if it could happen.