Re: Case for/data about elections

On 5/22/2014 1:42 PM, Brian Kardell wrote:

> [...]
> <chaals@yandex-team.ru <mailto:chaals@yandex-team.ru>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, 18 May 2014 16:26:18 +0200, Brian Kardell
>     <bkardell@gmail.com <mailto:bkardell@gmail.com>>
>     wrote:
>

>         Spinning off a new thread in order to keep the other about
>         actually voting on votes.
>

>     Thank you.
>

>         To reiterate in order to pose my questions:  I agree there are
>         potential
>         biases in the first system, it has serious flaws.  I entirely
>         support the
>         idea that it is worth discussing and probably fixing.
>

>         BUT - I am very dubious that THESE are the biases that have
>         hurt things
>         thus far and relatively confident that other biases
>         (apathy/lack of
>         participation or knowledge, who actually does the voting, etc)
>         actually
>         have had a big impact
>

>     That certainly was the case in the past. This is changing (in no
>     small part
>     through your personal effort, which I applaud). And as it changes...
>

> Thanks.  Lots of people have questioned me on why I do, even
> speculated some dark purpose.  I took the time to write a post about
> why which I will reference in the future when this comes up :)
>  (briankardell.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/desparately-seeking-jimi/
> <http://briankardell.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/desparately-seeking-jimi/>).
>

>         AND changing the voting system does not address these.
>

>     No, but those are being addressed. E.g. by your efforts. And when
>     that happens, the system we have effectively disenfranchises a lot
>     of the membership.
>

> I don't see how this is plausible actually, perhaps it's in how you
> are stating it that is causing me to misunderstand your meaning.
> "disenfranchises" implies that we are denying a right (definitely not)
> or systematically marginalizing a voice.  It's my case that
> *currently* a voice (arguably the most important one) is actually
> disenfranchised and when I hear that working hard (and making
> progress) to give them a meaningful place/voice in the process
> disenfranchises someone else who currently actually has this power -
> it makes me shiver with thoughts/parallels in my own country's history.
>

>         My assertions are easily validated with data.
>

>     Given sufficient data of the right type. Which we don't have.
>
>     The only data we have available are
>
>     the candidates
>      The recent trend is for genuinely contested elections.
>      AB candidates are more than twice the number of seats.
>     the winners of elections
>     the eligible voters
>

> We have anecdotal statements on lists that participation is very low,
> I believe it has been stated many times that it is something like 10%
> or less.  I don't see why the W3C would be adverse to releasing a
> generalized statistic like this if not - perhaps Jeff or someone can
> just fill in rough ideas over the last 5 elections ala.

Last year there was a discussion at the Advisory Board about Voting.
While I don't recall all of the give and take, in the end there was a
consensus not to release information.

I see it is a topic of continued interest, and I have put it on the
agenda for next month's Advisory Board meeting.

> Election 1:  N1% of members cast votes in the election 1: X% cast all
> available votes, Y% cast a single vote, Z% cast more than one, but
> less than the total number of available seats.
>
> That is totally anonymous in every way but would provide enough
> information to prove or disprove a lot of speculation - it might
> actually inspire some people to vote, which is also a good thing.  If
> not, could W3C please provide a rationale as to why this is not
> acceptable?

I can't think of any rationale.  As I said, I don't recall all of the
give and take from last year, but it is up for discussion again this year.