Re: Workshop and meeting requirements

On 2014-05-12 13:50, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org
> <mailto:jeff@w3.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/12/2014 4:15 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
>>     A laudable goal.  I think the TAG's event was not really "under
>>     W3C auspices" - i.e., I don't see how it fits under the given
>>     guidelines, but it was (imo) clearly a good thing.
>
>     I thought it was under W3C auspices because it was organized by
>     the TAG.  The TAG is about "as W3C" as it gets.
>

> Sure.  But as an event, there's no category as laid out in the process
> doc this fits under.  It was not directly sponsored by the W3C; it was
> just organized by the TAG members.  Put it this way - let's say Tantek
> and I decided we wanted to make a "Moving the W3C Forward" open-ended
> unconference happen.  Presuming the other AB members agreed with the
> idea, how would we go about doing this in order to clearly label as a
> W3C event?  Seems to me it would need to be a Workshop, with all that
> that implies.

Does every possible category of meeting that W3C conducts need to be
discussed in the Process document?  Workshops belong in the process
document because they can play a  particular role in the creation of new
work in W3C.  But I don't think that implies that W3C can't put on other
events.   The Process is a pain to change.  Everything doesn't need to
be in there.  It should be for the big things about how the organization
runs.

Like having enough time to get visas or travel approval and reasonable
air fares for formal WG meetings is important enough to guarantee in the
process.  But, organizing a regional meeting to solicit input from the
larger community somewhere likely isn't.