Re: [Section 7.2.2] Draft for Last Call

One thought in-line ...

On 3/17/2014 7:41 PM, Wayne Carr wrote:
> Suggestions for a few clarifications (not essential - just a few
> improved wording suggestions).  The chapter looks very good.

> 2. Section 7.2.2
> "Because the requirements for First Public Working Drafts are fairly
> mechanical, approval is normally fairly automatic. For later stages,
> especially transition to Candidate or Proposed Recommendation, there is
> generally a formal review meeting to ensure the requirements have been
> met before Director's approval is given.  Note that for a First Public
> Working Draft there is no "previous maturity level"."
>
> Suggest:
> "For a First Public Working Draft there is no "previous maturity level",
> so many requirements do not apply and approval is normally fairly
> automatic.  For later stages, especially transition to Candidate or
> Proposed Recommendation, there is generally a formal review meeting to
> ensure the requirements have been met before Director's approval is given.
>
> Reason: In the current text, it isn't clear why the requirements are
> "mechanical".  It's because most of them are about documenting things
> that happened since a previous maturity level so they don't apply.
> Theproposed  changes combines wording from the two sentences about FPWD
> and moves them together.  I think that's clearer.

I like your suggested reordering of the text.  If your proposal carries,
one further tweak to your text that I'd like is:

  "... and approval is normal /-fairly automatic-//+routine+/."

Rational: the Director may look at what the Status of This Document says
and ask the Working Group for some clarifications.  The approval of the
shortname is not always "automatic".

-Ralph