Re: Ian Jacobs comments [Was: New draft - please review]

On 2/10/2014 9:41 PM, Ian Jacobs wrote:
> [...]
>
> - Some places that are missing text following the reintroduction of PR:
>
>    * 7.1.1: In the first list, missing a bullet for PR
>    * 7.4: In the first list, missing PR as expected next step.
>
> - 7.1.2: "Substantive changes must not be made to a Proposed
>    Recommendation except by publishing a new Candidate Recommendation."
>
>    Is it possible for the Director to return a PR to WD?
>
> - 7.1.2: "Editor's drafts have no official standing whatsoever, and do
>    not imply consensus of a Working Group or Interest Group, nor are
>    their contents endorsed in any way by W3C."
>
>    I suggest "do not necessarily imply consensus of a WG or IG."
>
> - 7.2.3.1 Wide review. Suggest changing "A recommended practice is
>    making a specific announcement to other W3C Working Groups as well
>    as the general public, especially the sub-communities thereof that
>    are affected by this specification, that a group proposes to enter
>    Candidate Recommendation in e.g. approximately four weeks. "
>
>    to:
>
>    "Group's SHOULD inform others of their schedule to advance to
>    CR. The recommended practice is to make a specific announcement to
>    other W3C Working Groups as well as the general public, especially
>    to communities with known dependencies."
>
> - 7.2.4:
>
>    1) "to ensure that independent interoperable implementations of each
>    feature of the specification will be realized." Suggest s/will/can/
>
>    2) "created by other" suggest "created by other people"
>
>    3) "creation, consuming, publishing" are different forms of speech.
>       One alternative: "(authoring, consuming, publishing...)"
>
> - 7.3.2 (editorial): s/from review from beyond/from review beyond/
>
> - 7.4.1: Suggest deleting this section and simply incorporating
>    what's needed in 7.4.
>
>    Also note the missing word "NOT" in "MUST [NOT] approve the publication
>    of a revised CR."
>
> - 7.4: "The Director must announce the publication of a Candidate
>    Recommendation to other W3C groups and to the public, and must begin
>    an Advisory Committee Review of the specification on publication."
>
>    Suggest deleting "on publication" as unnecessary (and possibly
>    over-constraining).
>
> - 7.5: "must identify where errata are tracked, and". I believe that
>    we only start caring about errata a Rec. I suggest deleting this
>    bullet.
>
> - 7.5: "should not approve a Request for publication of a Proposed
>    Recommendation less than 35 days after the publication of the
>    Candidate Recommendation on which is it based [editor's note - this
>    is to allow for the patent policy exclusion period to expire]"
>
>    Please simplify to:
>
>    "should not approve a Request for publication of a Proposed
>    Recommendation sooner than 150 days after the publication of the
>    First Public Working Draft." That's the duration used in the patent
>    policy; it will be easier to explain and remember, instead of

I think your suggestion would add a time constraint that doesn't need to
be there.  We don't need for the exclusion period for FPWD to end before
Proposed Rec can begin.  What we need is for Exclusion periods for both
the FPWD and last Candidate REC to end before the AC review ends (at
least a couple of days before to be able to react to it.

In 7.5 it says: "The deadline for Advisory Committee review of the
technical report /must/ be *at least* 28 days after the publication of
the Proposed Recommendation."

That could be: "The deadline for Advisory Committee review of the
technical report /must/ be *at least* 28 days after the publication of
the Proposed Recommendation and *at least* 2 days after the completion
of all patent policy exclusion periods.  Currently that means at least
152 days after FPWD publication and 62 days after the last CR publication."

So the quickest a REC could be produced would be about 153 days. (with
CR starting before the FPWD exclusion period ended and the 2 exclusion
periods overlapping).