Re: Limiting Charter extensions

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 08:12:31 -0500
To: Wayne Carr <wayne.carr@linux.intel.com>, W3C Process Community Group <public-w3process@w3.org>
On 12/18/14 1:09 PM, Wayne Carr wrote:
> Proposed
>
> [[
> 6.2.5 Working Group and Interest Group Charter Extension
>
> Charters may not be extended more than 6 months after the original
> termination date.
> ]]

I can think of some scenarios where I would be OK with the staff
extending a WG charter from 2.5 years to say 3.0 years without an AC
review. (And, I also tend to prefer for ProcDoc not to be overly
constraining and to assume the staff will DTRT.) That said, some
specific data might convince me otherwise ;-).

Would you please cite specific case(s) that were problematic? Also, if
anyone has any data about the frequency of WG charter extensions beyond
2.5 years, please provide it.

-Thanks, AB