RE: What is "wide review"

I think the general objective is to ensure that wide review actually
happens, and not just "adequate notice" has been given.  At least
in my own experience, sometimes it's necessary for chairs to
solicit reviews explicitly.

Ideally, specifications SHOULD have an "applicability statement" outlining the
categories of applications the specification is intended to serve, and the various
roles of agents implementing the specification. (Writers, readers,
intermediaries, search engines, translation tools, editing tools, metadata
extractors, etc.)

"has this document been widely reviewed?" should ask if there has been a
careful review by implementors of the various categories of applications
and roles played in those applications. You might not get 100% coverage,
but significant gaps should be noted; perhaps the claimed applicability
narrowed explicitly.

For example: If HTML is intended to serve not only as a page description
format for web applications, but also as a representation of rich text email, then
a careful review by implementors of email agents (composers, translators,
webmail agents) would be useful.

For example, while XHTML had adequate notice, but the early 2000's
XHTML working group didn't have adequate review from the browser implementing
community. Careful attention to the "wide review" requirement might have
 forced an earlier confrontation and resolution.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net