Re: New chapter 7 editor's draft

I think the whole thing is very good.  Here are some wording suggestions.

* Section 7.1

** Under WD should add a note:
*'**Note:*  The W3C Patent Policy
<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy> [PUB33
<http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/refs.html#ref-patentpolicy>]
discusses the special role of the "first public Working Draft" as well
as other WDs when Members join or quit WGs.'

** Under LC/CR
"*Note:* Last Call Candidate Recommendations will normally be accepted
as Recommendations. Announcement of a different next step /should/
include the reasons why the change in expectations comes at so late a
stage."

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.  It seems to imply the
relative lack of importance of any serious AC Review, Director's Review
or feedback from the community (including other WGs) or the impact of
implementation experience or last call intellectual property feedback.
Obviously, LCCR's aren't going to be rejected frivolously or without
stating a good reason, but it isn't the case that those other reviews
should have been done earlier.  The wording seems to imply that normally
WGs determine if something is a W3C Recommendation and that it is an
extraordinary case if review from elsewhere alters that.  I'm not sure
what motivates having this sentence at all.  Is it an attempt to correct
some existing practice or to create some new policy?

** Under Working Group Note
"A Working Group /may/ also publish a specification as a Note if they
stop work without producing a Recommendation"
I think that should be changed to
"A Working Group /may/ also republish a Working Draft as a Note if they
stop work without producing a Recommendation"

'publish a specification as a Note" is confusing.  A specification
implies some status as something that should be implemented.  It's
typically what we mean be Recommendation.  This makes it sound like a
Note is an option for publishing something considered as a spec. This
form of a Note is when it is not going to be a spec.  (I think in a few
places "specification" is used to mean a draft that isn't final.  Do we
want to use it that way?  most uses I think mean the final product, but
a few I think mean draft in this version. unfinished or draft
specifications could be used if the spec word needs to be there.
unfinished specification is used somewhere in this text.)

* Section 7.2

"For /all/ requests to advance a specification to a new maturity level
other than Note the Working Group:"
needs a comma
"For /all/ requests to advance a specification to a new maturity level
other than Note, the Working Group:"

I know there has been discussion about the bullet list at the top. The 2
"shoulds" look like "musts" - if three are different requirements, why
not have to report that or some new dependency.

two of the bullets refer to previous maturity level.  1 refers to
previous step.  Does that mean different things?  Like a "step" means
previous TR publication?

I think it would be better to remove this list - there seems to be a lot
of duplication in the specific stages where there is some modification.
I'd rather have everything you have to do in one place for each stage.

* Section 7.2.2 Wide Review

"particularly in light of the listed dependencies," is redundant with
the next sentence "the Director is likely to consider the record of
requests to and responses from groups identified as dependencies in the
charter"

* Section 7.4.5

Under "For all W3C Recommendations", it has a requirement that appears
to be only for Edited Recommendations, but should be for both.

"The Advisory Committee review of the technical report /must/ continue
at least 28 days after the announcement of provisional approval to
publish the Edited Recommendation as a W3C Recommendation."