Re: [voice interaction CG] minutes from TPAC discussion on voice assistants

Thanks for posting this, Debbie.

Yes, roughly 20 people gathered for this lively session that began with
a short introductory set of slides [1], including a video from MIT's
Auto-Id lab concerning the proposed Open Voice Network [2]. After
further introductory remarks, highlighting a variety of use cases and
interests, there was an active discussion. The session was attended by
staff from both Microsoft and Google who were close to, but not directly
involved in, work on Cortana and Google Home.

The conclusions were:

1. It seems likely that there would be sufficient interest in extending
SSML, version 1.1 of which became a Rec in 2010 [3].

2. It further seems likely that there would be interest in defining
additional hooks for Web pages to aid voice-driven navigation - things
like 'add to basket' or other such common functions. These would almost
certainly be defined as schema.org terms.

3. The voice assistant platforms include a lot of proprietary
technologies that are very unlikely to be standardised.

4. There was good agreement around the room that a W3C workshop would be
well worth exploring. There were several offers to host such an event.

Lots of possibilities for the future here - let's see how things go.

Cheers

Phil

[1]
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1HWaE_u9084sDdHJShcKANQcPn6PUV7I5ss8fJpLz4_Y/edit#

[2] https://openvoicenetwork.org/

[3] https://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis/

--
Phil Archer
Director, Web Solutions, GS1

https://philarcher.org
+44 (0)7887 767755
@philarcher1
Skype: philarcher
A word on abbreviations I sometimes use in email:
https://philarcher.org/diary/2019/emailabbreviations/

CONFIDENTIALITY / DISCLAIMER: The contents of this e-mail are  confidential and are not to be regarded as a contractual offer or acceptance from GS1 (registered in Belgium).
If you are not the addressee, or if this has been copied or sent to you in error, you must not use data herein for any purpose, you must delete it, and should inform the sender.
GS1 disclaims liability for accuracy or completeness, and opinions expressed are those of the author alone.
GS1 may monitor communications.
Third party rights acknowledged.
(c) 2016.