 Subject: Re: Sustainable Codes vs Volatile URIs Re: URIs / Ontology for  Physical  Units and Quantities
 To: "Bernard Vatant" <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>, "Mark Harrison" <mark.harrison@cantab.net>
 Cc: "W3C Web Schemas Task Force" <public-vocabs@w3.org>
 Date: Thursday, May 7, 2015, 6:00 AM

 Let me begin by taking
 issue with the that URIs are volatile.

 Some are, yes.

 Some are not.

 http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns,
 for example, is not volatile.

 If you set up a Web site/service with the
 specific aim of it being
 persistent, it
 will be. Only the intention behind them makes a
 difference between temp.com and purl.org, not
 the architecture.

 W3C would
 love to host a system where vocabularies could be developed

 GitHub-style, complete with guarantees of
 persistence. It's only money
 that stops
 us doing it. You want to build that on w3.org? Please let me

 know - and we can talk about and publish
 clear statements about what
 happens when
 the money runs out and we host a static copy.

 Meanwhile, anyone can use our
 Community group system now and develop and
 maintain vocabularies for which you can have a
 w3.org/ns namespace if
 desired.

 And if you have a vocabulary
 you'd like us to host, again, please talk
 to me.

 A few
 extra comments inline below.

 <mark.harrison@cantab.net>:

 >> Dear Bernard,
 >>
 >> Just to
 respond to your example, that is probably an acceptable
 approach
 >> provided that both
 resources sharing that string code do so via a
 >> well-defined property that has an
 inverse-functional relationship (i.e.
 >> only one Subject is allowed to have
 that Value), much like a social

 security number.

 > Yes and no :)
 > Yes for the use of a shared property in a
 shared stable vocabulary, or even

 equivalent properties in separate vocabularies.
 > But definitely no for the
 inverse-functional relationship. The weak
 > semantics of a code implies that it does
 not commit to any ontological

 assumption of whatever the code denotes, and in particular
 if it denotes a
 > single entity. In the
 case of a city code, one can consider the city as a
 > geographical entity, a surface delimited
 by a polygon, a minimal and
 > maximal
 altitude etc, and another as a populated place with a
 population at
 > date X, and yet another
 one as an administrative subdivision with its
 > parent territory etc. Those three
 representations will have different URIs
 > and different descriptions,

 Yes, and there might be
 significant differences in any of them over
 time. City names change, boundaries change and
 so on. I spent time
 recently with someone
 who had lived in 5 different countries, even
 though he'd lived in the same place all his
 life (Belgrade).

   and infering they are the same based on
 an
 > inverse functional property is
 likely to entail inconsistent

 representations.

 True.

 > The
 bottom line of this, and I'm aware to be in vehement
 disagreement with
 > many people around
 here, is that a URI does not identify an entity, but a
 > representation.

 Please let's not get into HR14.

   And a shared code is just a
 shared key, agnostic on the
 > ontological
 status of its referent.

 So
 is a URI. It's a dumb string that has the property that
 you can look
 it up and find out what it
 identifies, unlike codes that have no such
 functionality.

 >> In that case, it's reasonable to
 infer that the two resources are the
 >> same.
 >

 > Which is leading you
 dangerously closer to a semantic black hole horizon.

 >> However, there are several 5-character
 codes in circulation, whether CAGE

 / NCAGE codes, US 5-digit zip codes or INSEE codes - so
 it's essential to
 >> unambiguously
 specify explicitly what the code represents

 I see you have a list of codes
 a bit like mine, we should align our
 systems! (by which I mean, you should deleted
 yours and use mine).

 Ain't going to happen.

 That'll do for now

 Phil.

 > This is simply an
 impossible task. You share a code, but views on what this
 > code denotes, implemented as different
 URIs, can be different. And that
 > should
 not be an issue.
 > If you ask me, the
 whole semantic enterprise will fail as long as this
 > point has not been widely understood. I
 seem to be very abrupt here, but
 > this
 is my conclusion after about 15 years munching on those
 issues, in
 > theory and in practice
 >

 >> and whether the relationship is
 inverse functional.  If that is not
 >> specified in a machine-interpretable
 manner, we all lose efficiency because
 >> each responsible developer must verify
 that relationship manually before

 making that assumption.

 >> The major downside of bare code
 strings vs URIs is that it's not
 >> immediately obvious where to go to
 find information - you can't simply make
 >> a web request and reasonably hope to
 find a definition or other

 relationships.  Of course, as Martin points out, we need a
 stable
 >> foundation, which for Linked
 Data means stable URIs and a commitment to
 >> maintain resources and web
 vocabularies for the common good, within a
 >> framework that does not allow them to
 collapse or wither if one committed

 individual leaves or is run over by a bus.

 >> Best
 wishes,

 >> -
 Mark

 Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
 >> wrote:
 >>
 >>> Dear all
 >>>
 >>> This
 issue has been surfacing again and again lately, and I would
 like
 >> to support Martin. I've
 already pushed this viewpoint here and there, I
 >> understand the reaction of
 "orthodox" linked data supporters for whom
 >> "things must be identified by
 URIs", period. But to put in bluntly, in many
 >> cases, well-maintained codes for
 standardized identities (languages,

 countries, towns, units ...) are more sustainable ways to
 share identities
 >> than URIs, for the
 obvious reasons given by Martin (URIs are volatile) plus
 >> three other ones at least.
 >>>
 >>> -
 Codes are not tied to any technical architecture, they can
 be used and
 >> exchanged across any
 information system, not only the Web (semantic or
 >> not). They allow to "weave beyond
 the Web" [1] any kind of data using them.

 >>> -
 Codes have minimal semantics (if any), they just carry
 shared
 >> identities, and that's
 great. Different data publishers can propose
 >> different representations, identified
 by different URIs, and sharing the

 same standard code. The sharing of a code via a common
 property/value pair
 >> is the best way
 to provide loose coupling between those entities without
 >> engaging into the neverending
 ontological and technical debate of knowing
 >> if those representations represent the
 same/similar/equivalent thing(s),

 and catastrophic chaining triggered by such hazardous
 equivalences.

 >>> Let me take just one example. Is
 not it safer to tie
 http://dbpedia.org/resource/Dijon
 >> by the common value of INSEE code
 "21231" (standardized by INSEE) than to
 >> rely on cascading sameAs leading to
 the stupid semantic black hole at
 >>> http://sameas.org/html?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FDijon
 >> which is the patent proof of the
 failure of a dogmatic and positivist use

 http://bvatant.blogspot.fr/2015/04/weaving-beyond-web.html

 <
 >> martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>:
 >>> The problem is not the one time
 generation. The problems are as follows:

 >>> 1.
 Copyright - Are you allowed to republish the code set as
 RDF?
 >>> 2. Sustainability - Are
 you commited to keep the URIs dereferencable, or
 >> will some domain grabber take the
 domain name once the creator has

 completed his/her PhD and lost interest.
 >>> 3. Updates - Will you keep the RDF
 version in sync whenever the standard
 >> changes?

 Unless there is a clear "yes" to all three
 questions, it is better to
 >> use the
 official codes than derived URIs.

 Martin

 Turner <wes.turner@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> [...]
 would take to generate RDF (and

 namespaced URIs) from the linked spreadsheet?

 codes (as owl:sameAs mappings to strings)

 wrote:
> [...]
 should simply use the list of valid codes from the
 >> most recent UN/CEFACT document
 (available as MS Excel from
 >> http://www.unece.org/cefact/codesfortrade/codes_index.html).

 measurement ontologies out there that hold the
 >> UN/CEFACT Common Code string for a
 subset of all units as a literal value.
 >> But for validation, one should use the
 authoritative list from the Excel

 files (since they are updated from time to time).

 strings for validation, because URIs are
 >> strings.

 Grüßen

 research group
 der bundeswehr muenchen

 phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
    +49-(0)89-6004-4620
 (group)

    http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)

 E-Commerce on the Web of Linked Data!

 wrote:

> [...]
 there are SI conversion factors and complete
 >> URIs for each unit.

 validation of "schema:QuantativeValues
 >> supports all UN/CEFACT Common
 Codes"?

 MedicalCode; where URI namespaces (like
 >> icd10:) would be more helpful for
 terminological validation and

 disambiguation than plain string keys)

 wrote:

> [...]
 reply:

 easily use schema:QuantitativeValue for both
 >> time and volume, with SEC as the unit
 code for t and LTR as the unit code

 for liters, and link both via schema:valueReference, or
 better, and
 >> owl:subProperty
 thereof.

 see

 >> http://wiki.goodrelations-vocabulary.org/Documentation/Structured_values_and_value_references

 schema:QuantativeValues supports all UN/CEFACT Common Codes
 for
 >> units, which should cover all
 you need:

 >> http://wiki.goodrelations-vocabulary.org/Documentation/UN/CEFACT_Common_Codes

 the public Excel files, the page just
 >> highlights a small subset.)

 freundlichen Grüßen

 science research group
 bundeswehr muenchen

 phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
    +49-(0)89-6004-4620
    http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/
 (group)

      http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)

 skype:   mfhepp

 GoodRelations for E-Commerce on the Web of Linked Data!

 http://purl.org/goodrelations/

 13:45, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <

 07:20 AM, Wes Turner wrote:
> [...]
 trying to share a tabular dataset. [1] There's
 >> metadata for
 and there's metadata for the particular columns
 >> (which
 particular data items).

 example:

 t   volume (liters)

 -----------------

 good) way to specify these units and quantities
 >> (in
 XSD datatypes)?

 You might like to check out

 >>> --