Sustainable Codes vs Volatile URIs Re: URIs / Ontology for Physical Units and Quantities

Dear all

This issue has been surfacing again and again lately, and I would like to
support Martin. I've already pushed this viewpoint here and there, I
understand the reaction of "orthodox" linked data supporters for whom
"things must be identified by URIs", period. But to put in bluntly, in many
cases, well-maintained codes for standardized identities (languages,
countries, towns, units ...) are more sustainable ways to share identities
than URIs, for the obvious reasons given by Martin (URIs are volatile) plus
three other ones at least.

- Codes are not tied to any technical architecture, they can be used and
exchanged across any information system, not only the Web (semantic or
not). They allow to "weave beyond the Web" [1] any kind of data using them.

- Codes have minimal semantics (if any), they just carry shared identities,
and that's great. Different data publishers can propose different
representations, identified by different URIs, and sharing the same
standard code. The sharing of a code via a common property/value pair is
the best way to provide loose coupling between those entities without
engaging into the neverending ontological and technical debate of knowing
if those representations represent the same/similar/equivalent thing(s),
and catastrophic chaining triggered by such hazardous equivalences.

Let me take just one example. Is not it safer to tie
http://id.insee.fr/geo/commune/21231 to http://dbpedia.org/resource/Dijon
by the common value of INSEE code "21231" (standardized by INSEE) than to
rely on cascading sameAs leading to the stupid semantic black hole at
http://sameas.org/html?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FDijon
which is the patent proof of the failure of a dogmatic and positivist use
of URIs.

[1] http://bvatant.blogspot.fr/2015/04/weaving-beyond-web.html

--

*Bernard Vatant*