Re: Proposed new Schema.org type for poetry and fiction

On 19/03/15 08:52, Anke Wehner wrote:

> On 19 March 2015 at 09:01, Paul Watson
> <lazarus@lazaruscorporation.co.uk
> <mailto:lazarus@lazaruscorporation.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     I am thinking about proposing a new schema.org <http://schema.org>
>     type for poetry, fiction, and other types of creative writing, as
>     a subType of schema.org/Article <http://schema.org/Article>,
>     perhaps with an additional property that can be used to classify
>     what type of creative writing it is (e.g. poem, haiku, sonnet,
>     short story, fan fiction, etc.).
>

> Having ways to categorise creative writing would be a good thing, but
> I don't think defining them as subtype of Article makes sense
> semantically. A poem, novel or movie script is not an article.
>
> How about creating CreativeWork > WrittenWork, moving wordCount,
> pageEnd, pageStart and pagination from Article there, and making
> Article and CreativeWriting subtypes of WrittenWork?
>
> Regards,
>   Anke

I went for the least disruptive change rather than the most semantically
correct one, but if people are happy to create WrittenWork and shift
Article to be it's subtype then I'd be happy with that.

So, the suggestion as it stands is to create a new type of WrittenWork
as a subtype of Article; move wordCount, pageEnd, pageStart and
pagination from Article to it's new parent WrittenWork, then create a
new subtype of WrittenWork called CreativeWriting, with at least one new
property (currently unnamed) that can be used to classify what type of
creative writing it is (e.g. poem, haiku, sonnet, short story, fan
fiction, etc.). Or should we take the opportunity to create some
subtypes of CreativeWriting while we're doing this (e.g. Poem, Story,
Script, etc.) instead of using a new property of CreativeWriting to
classify the type?

Paul