Re: The Vocabulary, Schema.org governance, etc.

On 25 September 2014 03:31, <Simon.Cox@csiro.au> wrote:

>  Yes, W3C are doing some vocabularies now, though mostly much smaller
> than schema.org. The maintenance cycle seems to be the main issue.
>

> For things that need to be updated fairly regularly, you probably want to
> look at a ‘registration’ approach, which can be used down to quite a fine
> level of granularity. Better still if the lifecycle information is
> available on demand, which can be arranged as a side effect, so a record of
> changes and previous state of the set can be recovered easily. See for
> example what the WMO is doing here:
>

> http://codes.wmo.int/
>

> And UK DEFRA here:
>

> http://environment.data.gov.uk/registry/

Putting the political aspects on one side, my experience of W3C community
groups is that the maintenance cycle need not be an issue.  I have often
updated vocabularies on a daily basis, when required.  But it can go
through cycles of inactivity.

In fact I tentatively agreed with danbri once to help update FOAF to
include a Web of Trust, but just didnt free up enough cycles.  One aspect
is that we dont have well oiled processes in place, but I think lack of
dedicated man power is perhaps a more significant driver.