Re: schema.org Breadcrumb design on top of ItemList

Re: current page being included in the breadcrumb trail -

While, like Jarno, I've had my share of developers grumble about excluding
the current page from a linked breadcrumb trail, none have failed to figure
out how to do so.

That it's common to see the current page linked in a breadcrumb trail
doesn't mean that it's good practice.  IMO most information architects (and
UI designers) would consider it bad practice, because the link is
self-referential (from a UI perspective it provides users with an
opportunity to initiate a meaningless click , which obviously makes the
breadcrumbs sub-optimal).

FWIW the Wikipedia entry [1] pretty unequivocally considers breadcrumb to
be a list of links *to* to the page.

"[Breadcrumbs] provide links back to each previous page the user navigated
through to get to the current page or—in hierarchical site structures—the
parent pages of the current one."

All of this to say is that linking up the current page - insofar as it
isn't (AFAIK) best practice, isn't something schema.org should encourage -
which it certainly would because webmasters would be eager to generate
in-SERP breadcrumbs by adhering to the protocol.

Also, for the past several years webmasters have been eschewing
schema.org/breadcrumb in favor of data-vocabulary.org/Breadcrumb, both
because the problems with the former are well-known, and because the
Webmaster Tools guidelines for Google [2] (to which
data-vocabulary.org/Breadcrumb/ links) declares that "[each] breadcrumb
item should appear in order, with the first item representing the top-level
page, and the final item representing the parent of the current page."
 This means that probably the vast majority of marked up breadcrumb trails
out there omit the current page.

I acknowledge that this is not a unanimous approach.  Bing's Webmaster
Tools guidelines [3] state that "[the] last breadcrumb in the trail
represents the user’s current location in your site’s hierarchy."  (I
couldn't find any Yandex recommendations, but I'm not able search in
Russian).  However, the Google guidelines are much more frequently cited
and used.

Re syntax -

>> I would prefer to
>> - keep the breadcrumb property and
>> - either use a generic ItemList for the breadcrumbs or a BreadCrumbList
type
>I would actually recommend using the breadcrumb property for all of them.

I definitely think retaining breadcrumb as a property, and I *think* I'd
like to see the breadcrumb property used for the cases Dan references, but
I need so see some sample code. :)

Whatever is the least complicated.  The precision of the position property
for a single breadcrumb trail is redundant, because if breadcrumbs aren't
presented in the order in which they're to be understood (by humans and
parsers) they're not breadcrumbs.  (I like the data-vocabulary.org approach
because it's straightforward and two of its three properties are
universal.  But replicating it isn't sensible because the need to declare a
new scope for each individual breadcrumb is obviously clunky.)

And even for multiple breadcrumb trails, if each trail is a homogeneous
item there's no need to state a "position".  This was necessary for
data-vocabulary.org because there each individual breadcrumb link is a
separate Breadcrumb item, but there'd be so such ambiguity if each
breadcrumb *list* was separately declared (a la BreadCrumbList).

The challenge of indicating the primacy of breadcrumb trails when there's
multiple trails is a manufactured problem.  If you explore the topic of
"multiple breadcrumb trails" even in general, it's predominantly structured
data discussions like this that predominate in search results.  Aside from
actively not recommending the use of multiple breadcrumb trails, UI
designers are silent on the subject of primacy of breadcrumb trails.  I
guess the case could be made that indicating the primary breadcrumb trail
could instruct search engines which breadcrumbs to display in the search
results, but a webmaster is more likely to circumvent that problem by only
marking up the one breadcrumb trail to begin with.  IMO it's an edge case.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadcrumb_(navigation)
[2] https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/185417
[3] http://www.bing.com/webmaster/help/markup-breadcrumbs-72419f3f