Re: schema.org Breadcrumb design on top of ItemList

On 19 September 2014 20:05, Aaron Bradley <aaranged@gmail.com> wrote:
> Glad to see the breadcrumb issue making its way back into the queue.
>
> What neither the description nor the example markup addresses is whether the
> declared breadcrumbs do (or should) include the current page.

In general most schema.org definitions only hint at "shoulds" and
"musts" w.r.t. what a description ought to contain.

Maybe

 "A BreadcrumbList is an ItemList
consisting of a list of Web pages, typically described using at least
their URL and their name. A common pattern is for the list to
represent a hierarchy from a top level entry point to the current page
(or the page above it)."

> Perhaps this is a vocabulary-agnostic matter insofar as individual data
> consumers may have their own guidelines, and/or be able to figure out from
> parsing the content (if one is on the page "../dresses/real" and you've
> declared "../dresses/real" as your highest position breadcrumb one would
> think Google et al. would be able to figure out that this breadcrumb and the
> current page are one and the same).
>
> FWIW, though, Google [1] explicitly instructs webmasters to exclude the
> current page when using data-vocabulary.org/Breadcrumb:
>
> "Each breadcrumb item should appear in order, with the first item
> representing the top-level page, and the final item representing the parent
> of the current page."

My personal view (and I'm checking back with colleagues now that
ItemList has settled down) is that the more explicit the better.

> Also, if the example was actually meant to show the proposed type
> BreadcrumbList in action, shouldn't it be employed in the example?

Since the ItemList design is finished, I thought it worth working up
an example that uses it - potentially for inclusion in the site asap.
Hopefully it could be followed up soon afterwards by a dedicated type
("BreadcrumbList"? "BreadcrumbChain"?) if one is agreed.

Dan