Re: ItemList proposal

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 3:21 AM, Jarno van Driel <jarnovandriel@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "The trick is to avoid relying on an explicit value for 'url', and
>> instead use the href value as the URI as the Webpage. This is in fact much
>> more in line with Linked Data best practices and it avoids blank nodes. A
>> pet peeve of mine is that Schema.org relies too heavily on an explicit
>> 'url' property in its examples. If the 'url' property is not provided,
>> consumers such as Google should simply use the resource URI provided in
>> @itemid (microdata), @href/@resource (RDFa) or @id in JSON-LD."
>

> Kudos for this solution, it's a beauty. But...
>
> Unfortunately the current support for @itemid and @resource by the
> sponsors is unreliable. Let me illustrate by giving an example:
> (parsing these through rdfa.info/play/, Structured Data Linter,
> Structured Data Testing Tool (=Google ) and Structured Data Validator
> (=Yandex) will illustrate the issue). And I know, by testing it, that
> Google's WMT doesn't handle @itemid @@resource very well either.
>
> Microdata:
> http://schema.org/Article">
>   </a>

> http://schema.org/Article">
> fail to merge 2 entities with the same @href/@itemid</span>
>   </a>
>
> RDFa:
>   </a>

> fails to merge 2 entities with the same @href, however Yandex succeeds when
> @resource is specified where Google does not</span>
>   </a>

Please try the RDFa example above in
https://www.google.com/webmasters/markup-tester/events, and you will see
that @href is well understood by Google event markup parser (same applies
to @resource). Google definitely has a sharp in-house RDFa parser, it's
just a matter of using it across the board on all their products, which I'm
sure is only a matter of time before it happens. The sooner the better, of
course. We're all waiting to see this parser deployed on
http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets.

The Microdata markup above will not work, and that's by design because MD
doesn't honor the @href as being used as URI for data items. That said,
@itemid might work.

Steph.

--