Re: ItemList proposal

I think the proposal is fine and addresses what we discussed in the earlier threads.

However, we need to improve the documentation strings:

First, for ItemList, let us indicate when to use a Thing, Text, or ListItem:

e.g. "For the itemListElement" values, you can use simple strings (e.g. "Peter", "Paul, "Mary"), existing entities, or ListItem nodes. Text values are best if the elements in the list are plain strings. Existing entities are best for a simple, unordered list of existing things in your data. ListItem nodes are recommended for ordered lists and when you want to provide additional context about the element in that list. Note: The order of elements in your mark-up is not sufficient for indicating the order or elements. Use ItemList with itemPosition in such cases."

Second, for ListItem, indicate when to use itemPosition and when next vs. previous.

e.g. "An list item, e.g. a step in a checklist or how-to description. There are two possible ways of indicating the order in the list (if any): With itemPositing, you can give a simple numerical or textual value (e.g. 1, 2, 3 or  a,b,c). With previous(Item) and next(Item) you can represent the order as a chain of relationships between elements. Using either itemPosition OR previous(Item)/next(Item) is sufficient and recommended."

Also, I suggest renaming next and previous to nextItem and previousItem, because we may need a similar term in future versions of schema.org for other uses.

Best wishes / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Martin Hepp

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group