RE: New Proposal - Measurement (in support of describing sports statistics)

> a Measurement appears to be primarily a means of tying an Event to a Quantity

That's essentially how it is modelled in O&M: a Measurement is n-ary relationship between the feature-of-interest, a property of the feature, a (estimate of the) value of the property, and a procedure used to determine (a.k.a. estimate) it.
This is the value-assignment viewpoint, which is primarily important if you care about the procedure-application-event because you care about uncertainties in the value of the result.

There are other viewpoints, in particular
- feature viewpoint - the thing in the world with all its properties and their values, without caring how they were estimated;
- procedure or sensor viewpoint - the sensor/platform/procedure and all the results it generated - which tends to be preferred by people who have a rare and expensive one (like a ship or a satellite or a supercomputer with a complex algorithm), so merely naming it conveys a lot of information to the cognoscenti.

Simon