Re: itemprop="translator"

I agree Karen, I also hold out high hopes for the Roles pattern to make the multitude of CreativeWork to Person/Organization relators, manageable.

As you say there are a handful of common ones that come to mind (director, producer for Movie, author, editor, translator, illustrator, for books/literary works).   In the balance between simplicity & understandability for web masters and keeping the numbers of properties manageable, we should be conservative in adding any more than a few as listed above.

Beyond that using Role for other creator / contributor roles should be the order of the day.

~Richard