Re: Person and fictional Re: VideoGame proposal

On 20 October 2014 13:14, Peter F. Patel-Schneider
<pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:
> The essence of these proposals is that there is some class or property that
> changes the meaning of something else. My worry is that producers and
> consumers will need to understand all such classes and properties before
> they can use schema.org.

I agree; such mechanisms ought to add knowledge, not change it.

If all you know is that something is a <http://schema.org/Person>, you
don't know if they're alive, dead, undead, or fictional. If all you
know is that something is a <http://schema.org/Event> or
<http://schema.org/Action>, you don't know whether or when it
happened. If all you know is that something is a
<http://schema.org/Place>, you don't know how long it's been there,
whether it's still there, how long it'll be around for, etc., etc.

It would be a mistake to take the absence of a claim that something is
fictional as an indication that it is "real", non-fictional etc. (both
slippery notions anyway). There are lots of processes by which triples
can 'drop off' a graph in some information pipeline, with SPARQL-based
extraction being the most obvious.

Dan