Re: Video Game Series (was VideoGame Proposal)

No-one would be happier than I (well, I and about 1,000 of my
colleagues) if Google et al. started respecting JSON-LD wholesale, and
while I can't predict this either I think said experimentation suggests
that will eventually happen.

Which is why the solution suggested by Dan Scott/"parameterized type
mechanism" has a lot of appeal.  Results-focused webmasters who wouldn't
normally use hidden markup or JSON-LD because of the negative ROI on the
work would, I think, be prepared to make such sorts of qualified
declarations.  That is, in the example Google's still provided with
information about "a series" which has a lot of potential value, even if it
chooses to ignore "oh, and I'm talking about a video game series"
qualification.

A little analogous to the use of the sameAs property, which is rarely
employed in such a way that the target URL is visible, but nonetheless is
still probably useful from a search perspective:  if Google chooses to
respect the <link>- or <meta>-declared property to get a better
understanding of the resource content, great; if not, the fact that Google
might ignore the sameAs value isn't a constraint on declaring other
properties about the resource that's visible to humans.