Re: Schema.org v1.6 release candidate: Roles, various fixes, site navigation improvements

On 18 Jun 2014, at 19:54, Vicki Tardif Holland <vtardif@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Mark Harrison <mark.harrison@cantab.net> wrote:
> However, I think there is now a need to update the documentation for the recently 'overloaded' predicates ( such as http://schema.org/actor ) to mention that a schema:actor property may accept a schema:Person OR a schema:Role as its value and it may ALSO be used with a type of schema:Role.
>
> Thank you for the comments. We are trying to balance overwhelming people with too much information vs. not giving them enough to understand how to use the schema. The right balance has not been struck yet, but it is something we are working on.
>
> - Vicki
>
> Vicki Tardif Holland | Ontologist | vtardif@google.com

Thanks, Vicki

For this particular point, I actually just meant modifying the web page at http://schema.org/actor (and any other predicates affected by http://schema.org/Role ) to include schema:Role in both the lists that appear on that page, since schema:Role is not yet mentioned on that page.

Authoritative examples of usage (particularly ones that are consistently correct across all three of JSON-LD, RDFa and Microdata) are always good to have - and you could always consider using an 'Accordion' or tabbed user interface to provide the detailed information and examples to users who want that, while keeping the page relatively free from clutter for those who don't want to see too much detail at one glance.

Just a thought…

Best wishes,

- Mark