Re: 2014 Sports Proposal - V3

Jason,

Thanks for putting this together. Here are my remarks:

SportsOrganization has a property of sport. This might be better as
discipline.
If Rugby is a sport, then Rugby League and Union might be disciplines.

Statistic has thingMeasured and measuredValue. I wonder if we need a unit
here too.
Exploring the Heptathlon event might be an idea here, as this has tripped
us up in the past.

I think we're missing an attempt at modelling seasons. Here is an example
of how we model seasons, using the notion of a Recurring Competition:
https://gist.github.com/tfgrahame/f6c844301f814e075c12

I've also attempted to try and answer some of Peter's queries in line.

Best,

Tom

On 18/06/2014 04:19, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I was in the middle of thinking about sports when I saw your message, so I
>was very interested in seeing what proposals there are to handle sports.
>However, after reading your document I have many questions.
>

>Let's start with the definition of a sport.
>
>What makes a sport professional?  Is that there are professional
>competitions in it?  Then just about everything listed as olympic sports
>are
>professional, but the "(additive)" seems to indicate otherwise.

I'm not sure Sports are professional or otherwise. I can be a professional
athlete and be paid for playing Football, or I might choose to play it
with friends at the park. And not be paid.

Competitions might be professional or otherwise however.

>Is a sport necessarily competitive?  Skiing is not necessarily
>competitive.
>Is recreational skiing a sport?  If not, you are using up a term for
>something that more naturally should be used for something else.

I admit this is awkward. Skiing is also a mode of transport. I think there
might be Skiing the locomotive activity, the leisure activity and the
competitive sport activity.

>Is a sport necessarily athletic?  Some non-athletic activites, e.g.,
>chess,
>have governing bodies that belong to associations of sports governing
>bodies.

Today I consider Sport to be athletic. Chess is a competitive activity,
but may be played by a machine.
Motor Racing, Darts and Shooting are not athletic in the sense of
Football, but all involve elements of endurance, skill, accuracy etc which
are properties of the animal body over time.

>What is a sport?  Is it a competitive activity that follows certain rules?
>This can't be, as just about every sport you list has variants that are
>played under different rules.  Is a sport something that has a governing
>body to codify several sets of rules?  This doesn't work either, as only a
>couple of the sports you list have particular governing bodies.  Is a
>sport
>something that people think of as a natural grouping?  This seems closer,
>but hockey doesn't fit here as ice hockey and field hockey are so very
>different.  Without some guidance as to what a sport is, how can there be
>any commonalities between what people use as sports?

Again, awkward. We avoid the issue in the Sport ontology by only modelling
disciplines and sub disciplines:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ontologies/sport/

>What makes something a team sport?  Only teams compete in Nascar, not
>individuals, for example.  Pairs tennis is competed by two players, which
>might be considered to be a team.  There are team competitions in tennis.
>Are olympic sports contested by teams or by individuals?

In the sense that coaches, physios, managers are part of a team - every
sport is a team sport. Sometimes we refer to head to head sports. Perhaps
that doesn't help.
We deal with this problem in the Sport ontology like so:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ontologies/sport#terms_CompetitiveSportingOrganisation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ontologies/sport#terms_CompetitiveSportingGroup

>You have several olympic sports.  However, half of these are not actually
>olympic sports according to Wikipedia.  Snowboarding is a discipline of
>skiing, swimming is a displine of aquatics, track isn't even a discpline.
>

>What makes a team a home team?  Is a home team the team that is most
>closely
>related to the venue?  What happens then when the New York Giants play the
>New York Jets?  Is instead a home team the team that is somehow designated
>by the rules of the competition as the home team?

Being Home or Away is a property of the event and not necessarily anything
to do with to location. Data is published today about the World Cup
matches where neither team has an affiliation with the stadium, but either
one is designated as either home or away.

>What is the decision for a tie?  What is the decision for a cricket draw?

Difficult. We are modelling Cricket now and I admit I am not yet familiar.
Cricket does appear to have it's own sense of Ties and Draws.

>Some sports governing bodies, including cricket, provide for different
>kinds
>of status situations for events.  For example, baseball games can be in
>various states for quite some time, including suspended and protested, and
>can end up never being officially completed.
>
>Why is the range of sport Text?  This seems to invite abuse, with no way
>recover.   Why not define a Class for sports, and let "things as strings"
>handle situations where text is used as a value?  The particular example
>of
>using a string that just happens to be the URL of a Wikipedia page only
>gets
>you the worst of both worlds.

I would hope we can use a dbpedia identifier here. Public URIs might be
useful for merging data.