Re: "score" property for Q&A entities

On 16 June 2014 15:15, Alf Eaton <eaton.alf@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 June 2014 15:03, Dan Scott <dan@coffeecode.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 02:50:14PM +0100, Alf Eaton wrote:

>>> My apologies for that - I'll try to get that fixed. Here's a better
>>> example, on StackOverflow:
>>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1960473/unique-values-in-an-array
>>>

>>>  Would there be a significant semantic difference for sites like this in
>>>>

>>> It does feel like there's a difference, although the score could just be
>>> described as "net upvotes" in this case (in other cases, the score might
>>> be
>>> calculated differently).
>>>
>>> It partly depends on whether the data consumer is using "upvoteCount" as
>>> measure of activity: an "upvoteCount" of "2" would imply little activity,
>>> when the item could actually have had 50 upvotes and 48 downvotes. It
>>> would
>>> also lead to the possibility of an item having "-10" upvotes, for
>>> example.
>>>

>> Point taken.
>>

>>  Is it worth overloading "upvoteCount" to the point where it loses its
>>> meaning, for the sake of not adding another property to the schema?
>>>

>> My bias is towards conservatism and trying to explore the possibilities
>> of using the existing vocabulary before adding yet another property.
>>
>> The alternative seems to be to follow Martin Hepp's very sensible
>> suggestion of using the existing Review / Rating branch of the schema
>> vocabulary (with Rating's single ratingValue property) in this instance,
>> in which case you would have a very compact review / Review /
>> reviewRating / Rating / ratingValue nested set of properties and types
>> for the single score for each answer/comment/question. Pretty verbose I
>> guess.
>>
>> Optionally, one could simply expand the domain of ratingValue to include
>> Answer/Comment/Question, thereby still avoiding the addition of an
>> entirely new property, yet offering the score that you're looking for
>> along side the upvoteCount / downvoteCount properties.
>

> A "score" calculated from combined up/down votes does seem conceptually
> similar to a "quality" rating. It's more of an AggregateRating than a
> singular Rating, though (in which case "upvoteCount" and "downvoteCount"
> could be viewed as "positiveRatingCount" and "negativeRatingCount"). It
> differs from AggregateRating mostly in that the final score is a sum of all
> the votes rather than an average.
>
> I think it still seems different enough from either of the existing
> "rating" classes, as currently attached to reviews, that it would be a bit
> of a squeeze to re-use them.

In fact, I see now that the original Q&A schema research[1] suggested that
AggregateRating be used for the aggregate score (upvotes - downvotes).
AggregateRating is problematic when used as a sum of votes, though, because
there's no "bestRating" or "worstRating" and it's a total score rather than
an average rating.

[1] https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/QASchemaResearch

Alf