Re: Series

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 01:31:51PM +0000, Wallis,Richard wrote:
>We could create Series as an Intangible base Type that could be used in combination with CreativeWork, Event etc. to produce the relevant series Type we are suggesting.
>
>eg.  BroadcastSeries a subtype of CreativeWork & Series
>       LiterarySeries a subtype of CreativeWork & Series
>       BaseballSeries a subtype of SportsEvent & Series
>       MovieSeries a subtype of Movie & Series
>      etc.
>
>As to properties for Series, seriesName would be an [optional] minimum, but not much else.

Series already has "name" (via Thing), so if we're going this route I
don't think seriesName would be needed.

Series does imply a sequence of things or events, so some means of
relating series members to their series would be useful. The existing
media series use episode / partOfSeason / partOfSeries for these
purposes.

For the periodicals proposal we had suggested a new "hasPart" and a
genericized "isPartOf" property with CreativeWork as its range for a
similar purpose. SchemaBibEx had initially looked at the Series model
but ended up rejecting the at-the-time property-proliferating approach
of rolling partOfTVSeries / partOfRadioSeries properties for each kind
of series.  (Happily that approach was deprecated at some point after
our deliberations).

Perhaps a more generic Series would use something like "seriesMember"
(new property) and "partOfSeries" (with a genericized,
non-media-specific definition) or "isPartOf" (with a range made even
broader than CreativeWork)?