Re: How do you flag a resource which is not available anymore?

On 6/3/14 4:02 AM, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> Hi Kingsley and Karen

> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>>:
>
>     On 6/2/14 2:47 PM, Karen Coyle wrote:
>
>         What is worse in the situation Bernard describes is that the
>         domain name may be resold and re-used, but unrelated to the
>         original vocabulary. Although unlikely, some vocabulary items
>         may resolve in the future, but to something entirely
>         unrelated. In that case, part of the message needs to be
>         something like: this has been determined to be unresolvable;
>         do not attempt resolution.
>

> At current placeholder for http://mindswap.org, one of the sponsored
> "Top Links" category is "Semantic Dementia". I thought it was some
> weird concatenation generated by obscure Google Adsense algorithms,
> but I discovered it's indeed a well-known syndrom
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_dementia
> "SD patients often present with the complaint of word-finding
> difficulties. Clinical signs include fluent aphasia
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluent_aphasia>, anomia
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomia>, impaired comprehension of word
> meaning."
> Seems an hopeless case
> "There is currently no known curative treatment for this condition.
> Supportive care is essential in what is a greatly debilitating problem."
>
> More seriously now :)
>
>     <#this> . # Is implicit and as a consequence problematic, as per
>     Bernard's situation.
>

> Indeed, if not well curated or otherwise mind-swapped
>
>     <#this> wdrs:describedby <SomeDocURL.ttl> .  # is explicit and
>     loosely coupled rather than implicit and tightly coupled.
>

> This is the best of worlds, but in semantic dementia you will not find
> that any more
>
>     <SomeDocURL.ttl> xhv:describes <#this> . # is also explicit and
>     loosely coupled rather than implicit and tightly coupled.
>

> That's the only way when <#this> has gone astray. But finding <#this>
> in the data, how do I GET <SomeDocURL.ttl> ?
> Simon pointed the case of lemon, which changed URI, but the change is
> documented only at the new URI http://www.lemon-model.net/
>
>     An RDF processor [1] can make sense of implicit and explicit
>     denotation and connotation.
>

> Sure. If I find the triple <SomeDocURL.ttl> xhv:describes <#this> in
> some trustable source I can hopefully make sense of it by following my
> nose into <SomeDocURL.ttl>, but I have to find this semantic needle
> first in the data haystack ...
>
> Best regards

All we have for this kind of dementia are service like LOV and our LOD
cloud cache. I am still hopeful that more of these kinds of services
will pop up over time. I am also hoping that the rise of storage
services (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, and most recently Apple's
iCloud etc..) will make archiving of RDF documents a lot easier. At the
very least, the aforementioned services will reduce the effects of link
rot and eventual semantic dementia :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen