From: Vicki Tardif Holland [mailto:vtardif@google.com]
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 9:28 AM
To: Martin Hepp
Cc: W3C Web Schemas Task Force
Subject: Re: [Proposal]: New schema for Invoices

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@unibw.de<mailto:martin.hepp@unibw.de>> wrote:
Thanks - such an entity was indeed missing. A few questions:

1. With invoice, do you mean a) a receipt of payment b) a document representing a payment request or c) the union of both. In other words, how is an invoice related to (1) an actual payment, (2) a legal obligation to pay a certain amount, and (3) an underlying transfer of rights that causes the obligation to pay a compensation?

A union of both. One might receive an invoice requesting payment and then a subsequent invoice with paymentStatus stating the payment was received.

2. How is an invoice linked to a) http://schema.org/Offer and b) the subtypes of http://schema.org/TradeAction, like
- http://schema.org/BuyAction

- http://schema.org/PayAction

- http://schema.org/RentAction

- http://schema.org/SellAction

- http://schema.org/TipAction

I can imagine invoices without either one, e.g. invoices without offer nor transaction for prepayments or advances.

But if the entities exist, they should be linkable.

Good point. In many cases, the original Offer is unknown, but if the Offer or Order is known, there should be a link. I can add the properties "paymentForOffer" and "paymentForOrder".

3. I think we should have a method for including a list of items in the invoice. One could define a new property "itemsIncluded" with an ItemList that links to entities of the type of http://schema.org/TypeAndQuantityNode.

If there is a link to the Offer, do you still need to list the items separately?

4. Currently, the support for modeling tax information in price information in schema.org<http://schema.org> and GoodRelations is pretty simple; we may want to expand this part and add it to Invoice, too, because e.g. the ability to expose VAT rates and absolute values may be very relevant for European users.

5. Also, we currently have no model for staged payments and financing in GoodRelations and schema.org<http://schema.org>; this will also touch Invoice (image a car invoice with a single down payment and four installments with individual due dates).

Yes, these can get complicated. It may be better to treat each installment as a separate invoice and link them together.

- Vicki

Vicki Tardif Holland | Ontologist | vtardif@google.com<mailto:vtardif@google.com>