Re: Redundant property schema: photo

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 19:56:51 -0700
To: Sachini Herath <sachini.mc@gmail.com>
Cc: W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
On 19 August 2014 19:43, Sachini Herath <sachini.mc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Upon the release of Schema.org mapping tools for Drupal 8
> (https://www.drupal.org/project/rdfui ), we noticed that some Types (eg;
> schema:Place) has both properties schema:photo and schema: image (coming
> from the parent type schema:Thing).
>

> Even though photo refers to a photograph and image, a web resource which
> happens to be an image, in the context of web I feel they are very similar.
>

> Therefore in order to remove redundant properties, I’d like to suggest
> marking schema:photo to be superseded by schema:image.

That sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me. Originally 'image'
only expected URLs, but now we allow it to point to an ImageObject
(which might also be a http://schema.org/Photograph) so I see no loss
of expressivity here. The 'photo' property is on thousands of sites
though (and 'image' on many many more). Perhaps it would be a start to
at least say that 'photo' is a subproperty of 'image', since anything
that's a 'photo' of something it's also an 'image' of it.