Re: tool for extracting structured data in javascript?

Hi Melvin,

In theory, you don't need to bloat your page with another js library, all you need to do is use the microdata dom api (a standard for  html5 I believe) specified here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/microdata/

and call document.getItems(typeNames) to get all the top level micro data items - Excerpt provided here:

"The type(s) of items can be obtained using the element.itemType IDL attribute on the element with the itemscope attribute.
This sample shows how the getItems() method can be used to obtain a list of all the top-level microdata items of a particular type given in the document:

var cats = document.getItems("http://example.com/feline");
"

From there you ought to be able to get the item properties as well

Not sure how widely this is implemented or adopted as a standard,  however that depends on html5 adoption, but certainly a handy little something to have in one's back pocket, and only 1 function call to get what you need.

And just as a heads up, the green turtle tool which you installed (and is a chrome plugin) was listed on the article I provided http://searchengineland.com/see-entities-web-page-tools-help-194710 (it is default rdfa but can handle micro data as well if you enable it  - I thought Ivan Herman was involved in it's development tho).  I do find the visualization has a tendency to die if too many triples are harvested.

However if you do go the chrome plugin route, the metaseoinspector by Jarno Van Driel (which I find super useful), does tend to behave itself rather well (link below) - and was listed along with green turtle in the link I sent (however specific link also provided here)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/meta-seo-inspector/ibkclpciafdglkjkcibmohobjkcfkaef?hl=en

best regards

Barbara