Re: Inverse Properties in Microdata:, was Re: schema.org update, v1.8: added WebSite type; broadened isPartOf to relate CreativeWorks

The proposal, which is the result of quite some debate, brings a feature to Microdata that all other syntaxes for schema.org have. Referring developers to RDFa for such cases does not help and is, IMO, an attempt to market RDFa over Microdata. Developers who are otherwise happy with Microdata and fluent in it and who might have a huge library of templates in Microdata should not be forced to upgrade all previous works and skills when they encounter that they need inverse properties.

Also, it cannot be assumed that big and small clients will process markup in RDFa and Microdata equally well. If a developer has a preference for Microdata because his or her target consumers understand that syntax better, they should be able to do so.

Let's not reopen syntax wars just because an idea that comes from the RDFa community might be added to Microdata.

Martin