Re: User friendly labels for Schema.org types and properties

From: <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 01:10:26 +0200
Cc: Stéphane Corlosquet <scorlosquet@gmail.com>, "Wallis,Richard" <Richard.Wallis@oclc.org>, Sachini Herath <sachini.mc@gmail.com>, W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
To: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>
IA dump of one existing vocabulary term using my processor yeilds the following:

> schema:StadiumOrArena a rdfs:Class;
>   rdfs:label "StadiumOrArena";
>   rdfs:comment "A stadium.";
>   rdfs:subClassOf schema:CivicStructure,
>     schema:SportsActivityLocation .
>
> IMO, just changing rdfs:label to "Stadium or Arena" would work properly. Adding @en would make sense too, opening the door for alternate translations, or content-negotiated based on Accept-Language.

I am not sure this is correct, because the schema.org infrastructure uses the rdfs:label to access the local part of an element's name. Of course, this could also be extracted from the URI. But that will require a careful update of the schema.org scripts because I assume the local part of an element's name is used in many parts of the code.

A quick guess is that at least the breadcrumbs and the name of supertypes plus their cross-links are based ond rdfs:label.

So yes, it can be done, but it will be a significant source of error in the deployment of schema.org.

Martin

PastedGraphic-3.png
(image/png attachment: PastedGraphic-3.png)