Re: working of schema.org/WebPage

For an ItemPage that contains a Product I would use @about to define the
Product category (if there is one). For example:

        <link itemprop="sameAs" href="http://www.freebase.com/m/01c648">

        [...product details...]

Now I consider the subject of a WebPage to be something different than the
objects it contains, yet that's how I interpret this property. I agree that
the schema.org site could use more examples of how to use @about (when not
using it in combination with a CreativeWork) but the same most definitely
can also be said about how to use WebPage and WebPageElement.