Re: has, is, of

My two cents:

When we integrated GoodRelations, we changed all (most) property names from hasXYZ to xyz in order to match the schema.org naming pattern of trying to omit has-, is- and other prefixed and suffixes as much as possible (hasPOS is the exception from the rule).. In the original gr namespace, so far the old names are the official ones.

Back then, I liked this direction, because it saves a lot of typing and one CamelCase (and thus potential source of error) for each usage of the property, so I think the ergonomics of the schema.org approach is superior. In GoodRelations, I originally tried to use very precise names for properties and classes (which lead to unhandy elements like gr:LocationOfSalesOrService provisioning - which is conceptually a maybe more precise than the new gr:Location or schema:Place - but it really hurts the coder).

After having created ca. 300 examples in RDFa and Microdata in the old GoodRelations and the new schema.org namespace, I can tell that the risk of ambiguity is by far smaller than the gain in coding efficiency and number of errors, assumed that you can easily look up the definition of the element.

Let's keep in mind that schema.org is a relatively small vocabulary that will be used by millions of coders on billions of documents, so we should always keep both the coder's and the conceptual modeler's position in mind.

Martin
martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen