Re: working of schema.org/WebPage

What I find confusing about WebPage (+ it's subclasses) and it's relation
to WebPageElement(s) (+ it's subClasses) is where does it fit into the
whole (literally)?

What I understand about semantic techniques until thus far is that they're
a way to explain what a page is about, what entities it contains, what
their individual meaning is and what their relations are relative to each
other. All quite abstract concepts since they're supposed to describe
'meaning'.

Yet when I'm marking up a WebPage, including it's WebPageElement(s), trying
to chain it all together, to me it seems like I'm describing the domtree.
Now one can argue that when I'm doing this I actually am defining the
relations between entities, but there's nothing abstract about it. The only
thing it describes is the order of the DOM: a WebPage, its
WebPageElement(s) and the Things it/they contain.

Now some folks argue I'm overdoing it (which could be very much true) when
I mark up Everything on a page, but my response to that always is: "The
entity types exist, so they're probable meant to be used". But at the same
time it's the only argument I have to mark up everything. I don't have any
arguments that illustrate why I should describe the DOM as well. Like Jason
said: "It is legal for there to be multiple top-level entities". So why
should I even bother with marking up the WebPage or it's WebPageElement(s)?

And to complicate things even further, not everything needed to chain
everything together, while expressing the right context, is available:

1] Being able to define the main (or a collection of) entity of a WebPage.
@mainContentOfPage only accepts a text value??? (I agree with Jason;'s:
"Let's fix it!")

2] No clear properties are available to connect WebPageElements to a
WebPage. So far I have been using @mentions to connect Things together, eg.
WebPage > mentions > WPSideBar, because there's nothing else for this. A
better property (eg. @child, @contains, @has, @part, @DOMElement) seems
missing to me since I'm describing the DOM and not a relation like: Guha >
colleagueOf > Dan.

3] No clear properties are available to connect Entities to
WebPageElements. So far I have been using @about for that, eg. WPFooter >
about > LocalBusiness, where my gut feeling says there should be a property
like mentioned in [2].

Now since no information can be found on schema.org itself, I have tried to
search in the darkest corners of the internet trying to find any reference
about the ideas behind entities like WebPage and WebPageElement but I can't
find anything of meaning. And since these issues go way beyond the WebPage
entity itself, I wouldn't even know where to start if I were to write a
proposal to fix this.

And thus my main question is: Now what?

"Thanks for asking these kinds of questions, Jarno.  Keep 'em coming!"
No problem, I got a whole bag full of 'm. And probable more than you lot
will like.   :)