Re: LRMI inclusion status

Hi Dan,

On Mar 20, 2013, at 7:19 AM, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
 wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> On 19 March 2013 22:56, Jim Klo <jim.klo@sri.com> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm chief architect of Learning Registry (http://learningregistry.org).
>>
>> One of the projects I'm working on right now is to enhance Learning
>> Registry's publishing capabilities to accept and validate Schema.org with
>> LRMI additions.
>>
>> I'm trying to derive what the current status is on adoption is, what the
>> timeline might be, etc. As from discussions that I've had/viewed on/off list
>> seem to indicate that this might be stalled? It seems to be unclear.
>>
>> If anyone can provide insight into this on/off list that would be great.
>
> It is certainly going to be included. In fact I posted a revision to
> the site recently that included the change. Unfortunately that
> revision had some errors (all mine...) and I had to wind back the
> change, but LRMI is queued up for inclusion in the next update. I
> believe this should be countable in days rather than weeks; it is
> purely an administrative matter now.

This is excellent news.

> In the meantime, the specifics of the schema definitions are at
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webschema/file/default/schema.org/ext/lrmi.html
> (this is the file that gets merged into the schema.org site build
> system).

Thanks!  That really clarifies things and will assist in getting a validator integrated.

> A few sites that have some usage of LRMI "AlignmentObject" markup:
> www.cteonline.org, www.merlot.org, phet.colorado.edu, maor.iucc.ac.il,
> www.thegateway.org, www.tncurriculumcenter.org. There are some others
> that publish LRMI but don't currently have alignments; they use
> properties such as 'learningResourceType': www.ck12.org,
> www.oercommons.org, .. and more in the pipeline.
>
> A few examples (AlignmentObject),
> http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/gravity-force-lab
> http://www.cteonline.org/portal/default/Curriculum/Viewer/Curriculum?action=2&cmobjid=176662&refcmobjid=133048
> http://www.merlot.org/merlot/viewMaterial.htm?id=80037 ...
>
> For an example without AlignmentObject, see for e.g.,
> http://nsdl.org/resource/2200/20061003225942364T ... I find this
> really interesting as it starts to show how 'digital library'
> collections (see also Europeana, DPLA etc.) and 'learning resource'
> collections can be linked together. While we can't expect every site
> to have exactly the same metadata fields, we can provide an
> information environment that makes the most of their overlaps.

In addition I've recently published LRMI content for Khan Academy into Learning Registry using a Schema.org translated to JSON using the transformation described in HTML Microdata (http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/microdata/master/#json) as a purely portable and machine readable version of schema.org.

Some of that published content can be seen here:
http://node01.public.learningregistry.net/harvest/listrecords?from=2013-03-18T21:02:25Z&until=2013-03-18T21:14:59Z

For those not familiar with Learning Registry, the metadata content that is encoded in application/microdata+json is located in:

	response_object.listrecords[index].resource_data.resource_data