Re: LocalBusinessDepartment proposal for schema.org.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:

> On 3/5/13 12:01 PM, Justin Boyan wrote:
>  We could define
>
>> "department" on Organization rather than on LocalBusiness, and make the
>> new target type "Department" a subclass of Organization. The problem is
>> that "Department" then wouldn't inherit the openingHours and
>> openingHoursSpecification fields from LocalBusiness.... and
>> per-department opening hours is a driving use case here. Any ideas?
>>

> We will continue to run into such problems if we attempt to create all of
> the schemas through hierarchies. It might be useful to think of
> "free-floating facets"[1] for those properties that may be usable in a
> number of different circumstances, like locations, addresses, hours, owner,
> time (dates of existence, creation), etc. Either that, or a whole bunch of
> properties need to be defined at the Thing level.

That could make it hard to find the properties you want.  Instead,
schema.org has opted for a single global namespace for properties and
allowing multiple domains per property (notice the URLs are not nested
under the type's URL).  For example, Product <http://schema.org/Product>and
CreativeWork <http://www.schema.org/CreativeWork> share the same "review"
property.

And in the spirit of linked data, shouldn't it be possible to link any two