Re: Comments on Reservations, Orders drafts (was Re: Schema.org update: new and updated proposals)

I have a couple concerns about the proposed Reservations schema:

   1. ProgramMembership and Reservation are listed as a subclasses of
   Thing. It seems like they should be under Intangible since they're not
   real-world entities in the same way that Person, Product and Place are.
   2. The expected value of the reservationFor property is either a
   BusTrip, Event, Flight, FoodEstablishment, LodgingBusiness, RentalCar,
   Thing or TrainTrip. This is confusing because it actually depends on the
   type of reservation that you're using. A FoodEstablishmentReservation
   shouldn't accept a BusTrip as the value of reservationFor but according to
   the current spec it does. Would it be possible to make the expected value
   of reservationFor be an Event and then make BusTrip, CarRental, Flight and
   TrainTrip subclasses of Event?
   3. Different types of Reservation have different properties for
   startTime, startDate and departureTime which are all essentially the same
   property. Because the value of reservationFor is sometimes an event-like
   type and sometime not these properties appear in different places.
   On FoodEstablishment they go in the Reservation item itself but for all the
   other types of reservations they get nested inside the item referred to
   by reservationFor. If reservationFor always expected an Event we could just
   used the startDate/endDate properties inherited from Event with much less
   confusion.

--
Shawn Simister

Knowledge Developer Relations