Re: Redefine and reuse?

The serialNumber is in theory meant as a unique item identifier assigned at production or market entrance time, like the serial number of a digital camera, the Vehicle Identification Number of a car, etc.

A library-specific identifier (like shelf locator ID) is not really a serial number. I do not see major problems with using serialNumber this way, but it is not exactly as initially meant.

Martin

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen