Re: Why are classes and URIs case sensitivity?

I think there are two separate issues here that we should treat differently:

1. There can be a property that links to a type, and both the type and the property have the same name. I think this can be a valid approach in the current naming scheme inside schema.org. An alternative would be e.g. to use a hasXYZ pattern for such properties; this may reduce ambiguity but is a bit cumbersome in practice.

2. There could be multiple types multiple properties that differ just by the capitalization; such would be bad.

A pragmatic solution would be to add a script to the schema.org-specific deployment environment that spots potential issues of that kind

for element_1 in schema_org:
	for element_2 in schema_org:
		if element_1.lower() == element_2.lower() && element_1!=element_2:
			print "Potential name clash between two elements, %s and %s" % (element_1, element_2)

Martin

On Dec 4, 2013, at 6:26 PM, Dan Scott wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
>> A question that I have had about this is whether there is any "policy" (to
>> the extent that schema.org has such things) about having a class and a
>> property with the same term, the only difference being the case of the first
>> letter. It strikes me that such a situation could be error prone.... but I
>> don't know if examples already exist in schema.
>
> It's a relatively common pattern; as a sample of what already exists:
>
> * action / Action
> * AggregateRating / aggregateRating
> * Audience / audience
>
> ... just to hit the "A/a" section.