Re: Audience proposal

+cc: Greg

Hi Egor,

On 26 June 2012 17:35, Egor Antonov <elderos@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
> Hi folks!
> Some of our proposals (Medical/Health, TechArticle, LRMI) and also some of
> our Yandex people have common ideas floating around.
> I mean that currently a publisher cannot explicitly specify target audience
> of his site/page/CreativeWork.
>
> Medical vocabulary proposal contains a type MedicalAudience, which splits
> people of medicine into categories expressed as an enumeration.
>
> LRMI proposal contains intendedEndUserRole property with the same purpose,
> contaning some text (which is also a soft enum).
>
> TechArticle proposal contains property named technicalAudience with Text
> type.
>
> I think we should make a common skeleton for target audiences, so that every
> new proposal could build in a new specific audience into our schema.
>
> First, I made a wiki proposal page, containing some common thoughts about
> describing target audience of a CreativeWork:
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Audience
> It can be applied to schema.org/WebPage and schema.org/Product class as
> well.
> The key concept is that we cannot force all the sites to markup with
> constraints, but some of them may want to have some positive recommendations
> for expected target audience.
> That's why we should provide a way for publishers to say, which people they
> want to visit their site (opposite to which they do *not* want).
>
> Second, the proposal also contains some specific audience constrains:
> 1) age and gender for PeopleAudience
> 2) a more specific type ParentAudience (with properties about child age) for
> describing parents as target audience
>
> Some examples can be found on the Wiki.
>
> I think the earlier we structure audiences, the less work we'll need to
> change the schema in the future.
> Would be glad to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for writing this up. You've identified a clear need and some
opportunities for offering a cross-domain mechanism that could be very
useful.

As you know we have just gone live with the medical/health vocabulary,
and that provides us with a fairly neutral 'stub' class,
http://schema.org/Audience

Perhaps we can use that to explore how the LRMI 1.0 work (which seems
generally now to be considered 'done' and ready for inclusion) might
work with such a mechanism.

I've copied Greg who is coordinating the LRMI efforts - Greg, I
realise it's late in the process but could you take a look and offer
any thoughts on whether a generalised 'Audience' notion would work for
you?

cheers,

Dan