Re: additionalType property, vs extending Microdata syntax for multiple types

Dear  Dan and all,

Just a summary and some thoughts:

1) The @itemtype attribute, if specified, must have a value that is *an
unordered set of unique space-separated tokens that are case-sensitive,
each of which is a valid URL that is an absolute URL*, and all of which
are defined to use the same vocabulary. The attribute's value must have
at least one token.

2) @itemprop must have a value that is *an unordered set of unique
space-separated tokens that are case-sensitive*, representing the names
of the name-value pairs that it adds. The attribute value must have at
least one token.

3) *Property names in Schema.org are unique i.e. they have the same
semantics* no matter which Schema.org class define/use them.

4) Microdata processor must be aware of various vocabularies  but not
mixing them (is mixing a complexity issue?). In addition, I would like
to emphasize that extracting Schema.org annotations from HTML is
challenging because of various cases the HTML source can be delivered. I
believe is a mix of DOM processing  with knowledge discovery/extraction.
When the processor gets

then it may extract a Text as address (?!) BUT it may also have chance
to extract a nice http://schema.org/PostalAddress instance. The result
is substantially different in terms of consumption of the semantic data.

5) To consume semantic annotations  coming from a vocabulary A distinct
from Schema.org   one can define a mapping from A to Schema. When such
mapping is in place then semantic data using vocabulary A can be
consumed by a schema.org processor too.
Of course, the other way around (Schema -> A mapping) will allow
specific semantic data processor to consume Schema.org data.
I suggest that a "standard vocabulary" ( Schema.org?) may act as an
interchange vocabulary.

6) It is yet valid and at no big cost(?) that http://schema.org/Thing
may define a property @sameAs:<unordered URI list> meaning the mapping
from Schema to  different vocabularies. As Schema.org does not define
required properties an annotation processor may or may not consider
processing this property

Kind regards and sorry for a long email,
Adrian