Re: additionalType property, vs extending Microdata syntax for multiple types

Hi Dan,
Thanks for summarizing this. Two suggestions:

1. Instead of samePropertyAs: rdf:type, use owl:equivalentProperty if you want to express how the additional type information can be mapped into an RDF world.

2. Add a link to the thread in the W3C archive so that the full details of the discussions are easy to reach:

By the way, the original proposal now being favored was already described in my post

    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-data-tf/2011Oct/0088.html

and presented at the schema.org Workshop back in September 2011 (slide 16):

http://schemaorg.cloudapp.net/2011Workshop/sw1109_Vocabulary_GoodRelations.pdf

Best

Martin

On Jun 19, 2012, at 7:24 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:

> Thanks everyone. Lots of mail!
>
> I have tried to make a brief summary of some of the points in the Web
> Schemas wiki, just a sketch of individual positions really rather than
> a summary of the whole debate. I also started there to write up
> details of a concrete proposal for 'additionalType'.
>
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/additionalTypeProposal ...
>
> Since nobody has volunteered to lead an effort to get Microdata syntax
> changed to support multiple types from different vocabularies, and on
> balance after reading thru all the debate, I think we should go for
> the new property approach.
>
> I'd like to make sure that we capture all the concerns people have in
> the Wiki and in the resulting property definition, and to give some
> thought to how validators and checkers ought to behave.
>
> Peter, Egor, others, ... can you live with a new property here? (one
> of 'additionalType' or 'type') Any preferences on name?
>
> cheers,

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen