RE: Vocabularies for Technical Publishing

Yes, 'currentModel' is a proposed attribute of Product, not TechArticle. It acts as a flag that indicates "This content is/is not relevant to the latest version of a product".

Btw - I have removed 'aboutProduct' and 'currentProduct' from TechArticle 2.6 spec. For the benefit of the forum, let's keep the conversation separate and pick this up in another thread since we are discussing an addition to Product, not TechArticle.  The Product proposal was originally kicked off in a separate discussion here:  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2012Jun/0046.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Wulf [mailto:jwulf@redhat.com]
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 6:53 AM
To: Kenley Lamaute
Cc: public-vocabs@w3.org
Subject: Re: Vocabularies for Technical Publishing

----- Original Message -----

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding this: the currentModel attribute acts as a flag that indicates "This content is/is not relevant to the latest version of a product".

Its likely use is that when a user requests information about a product, but does not specify a version, the search engine would compare the value of search result pages' "Product model" to their "Product currentModel", and favour results where the model and currentModel are the same. This would favour the most recent material.

So currentModel would need to, ultimately, be type-compatible with model: a string literal.

I don't know if there is an existing schema.org pattern to deal with this, but something like the xi:include pattern of xml seems like a good fit. A URI is given, and the content returned by dereferencing that URI is accepted as the value. So in this case, you request the URI, you get back a string, and you take the string as the value.

I would say that an approach such as this - the option to specify the metadata inline or as a reference that is read from somewhere else - is an appropriate optional pattern where a page includes metadata about something other than itself or its content; and it's something that affects more than just the Technical Article schema.

Also, as you indicated, such an approach is useful in practice only if search engines dereference the URI to get the value.

Is there any traction for an xi:include like mechanism for metadata injection via URI reference* in schema.org schemas? Or is it better to say: "Don't populate this value if you can't guarantee that you'll update it"? Because the value of the data decreases when it's unreliable.

- Josh

* Which is essentially the same pattern as implementing it in javascript when server-side dynamic assembly is not available.