Re: schema.org weekend reading: Actions/Activities; Audience draft, and Class/Property.

I'll focus on the audience bit, i.e.

On 30/11/2012 19:23, Dan Brickley wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> A few things on the schema.org front:

[..]

> 2. The Audience proposal; based on the RDFa schema in
> https://bitbucket.org/elderos/schemaorg/src I've built a test version
> of the schema.org site that includes the Audience proposal (see
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Audience ). The draft site is at
> http://sdo99a.appspot.com e.g. see http://sdo99a.appspot.com/Audience

[..]

 From a technical point of view, this is fine of course. From an ethical
one, there are aspects I find seriously worrying if not potentially
offensive.

Why does anyone need to define the maximum age of an audience? An adult
friend of mine is not a strong reader. He reads books targeted at 11
year olds - and enjoys them. Why put it in his face that he's reading
children's books?

Minimum age - fine. We understand that. But you won't ever see a maximum
age on a film or game.

Daft. Drop it.

Gender? For a target audience? What? OK, so I'm a wishy washy dripping
wet liberal but if a girl wants to play with "boys' toys" or a boy wants
to read "chick lit" - why not? I think the content should speak for
itself and the potential consumer decide whether he/she wants it. The
Twilight saga is basically aimed at teenage girls, yes? I know at least
one teenage boy that read the whole series and many post-teenage girls
who enjoyed it too.

Of course content *is* targeted at gender, but I don't think it should
be part of the data.

Drop it.

The parental ones - i.e. this is for parents of children aged x - y does
make sense. That's potentially useful for parents.

HTH

Phil.

--

Phil Archer