One question - there's no existing periodical model at all, right?  It
seems like (floppy) comics would extend a larger periodical structure
(e.g. periodical series - "The New Yorker" and periodical issue "Issue
#4, 2010").

-peter

From: Tom Morris [mailto:tfmorris@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 5:25 PM
To: Aaron Bradley
Cc: Olson, Peter; public-vocabs@w3.org
Subject: Re: Comics

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Aaron Bradley <aaranged@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I haven't seen any work done for microdata specifically - or indeed seen
any normalized structured markup for comic books.  But I think it would
be an interesting project.

Because of the serial nature of comics, I think a fecund place to start
would be by looking at the TVEpisode, TVSeason and TVSeries types.  That
also might prove interesting in looking at how to encode comic
book-specific contributor roles such as "inker" or "colorist."

As you say, comics are currently modeled inconsistently.  You probably
know of the following resources, but just in case here they are (not
sure how useful they'll be, but there is some meta encoding work that
has already been done):

http://docs.comics.org/wiki/Current_Schema

http://www.cbml.org/cbmlTagSetDoc.html

There's also Google's http://www.freebase.com/view/comic_books which has
a fairly rich schema with 24 types and a total of about 10K instances
which illustrate how they can be used (e.g.
http://www.freebase.com/view/en/marvel_universe) as well as a (small)
community of collaborators.  If nothing else, it might serve as a good
starting point and source of modeling experience.

Tom