Re: Cardinality of schema.org properties

Hi all:

In GoodRelations, we always indicate the cardinality information as part of the label of the property. This has several advantages:

1. It is available in multiple syntaxes and formalisms, so it does not break if you use GoodRelations in any other Entity-Attribute-Value environment (e.g. outside of RDF).

2. You can still easily generate data quality rules by parsing the string with regex, since the format is always the same:

e.g.
   has currency (1..1)

3. It is intuitive for people from RDBMS / conceptual modeling communities.

Furthermore, since it is not possible to stop people breaking cardinality constraints on a Web scale, you cannot enforce consistency rules as in a closed-world RDBMS anyway, so the question is not how to prevent this, but how to

1. communicate the recommended cardinalities and
2. how to handle violations at a data consumer side.

Note that language information makes the cardinality problem a bit trickier than assumed at first glance, because you have cases where you want to say that e.g. each product has just one description per language.

See

    http://www.heppnetz.de/ontologies/goodrelations/v1.html#conventions

Martin