Re: Comics

I haven't seen any work done for microdata specifically - or indeed seen any normalized structured markup for comic books.  But I think it would be an interesting project.

Because of the serial nature of comics, I think a fecund place to start would be by looking at the TVEpisode, TVSeason and TVSeries types.  That also might prove interesting in looking at how to encode comic book-specific contributor roles such as "inker" or "colorist."

As you say, comics are currently modeled inconsistently.  You probably know of the following resources, but just in case here they are (not sure how useful they'll be, but there is some meta encoding work that has already been done):
http://docs.comics.org/wiki/Current_Schema
http://www.cbml.org/cbmlTagSetDoc.html